Babies & Toddlers, Personal

Kaedence is 1!

Kaedence is 1!

Woah. I can’t believe I just typed that sentence.  My baby is 1!  I have so many emotions running through my head right now.  We have been so unimaginably blessed this year.  Becoming a mom to 2 little girls is by far the hardest thing I have EVER done.  I can’t believe how easy it was to have just 1, and I never knew how much free time I actually had until we had Kaedence and it was all gone!  I couldn’t imagine life any other way though and I am learning to embrace the craziness that is having 2 kids.

To say Kaedence is not an easy baby is an understatement.  She was colicky for at least the first 5 months of her life.  I felt so helpless when she would cry and all I could do was hold her.  Its true what they say, nothing lasts forever and even though when I was in the thick of it and I thought she would never stop crying, she did and when we had her tongue tie clipped at 5 months old the colick was almost instantly better.  She turned into a happy baby, but she still doesn’t sleep!  Even now at 1 year old she does not sleep through the night.  But I know sleep is developmental and one day she WILL sleep through the night and she won’t need me anymore.  So until then I will soak up all of the baby snuggles I get throughout the night.

Kaedence is such a great baby!  She is loving and is always giving hugs and kisses to everyone who will take them!  She LOVES her big sister Mikaela and I love seeing their relationship develop and hearing their giggles is amazing ❤ Kaedence knows what she wants and she wants it RIGHT now (she gets her patience from her momma).  If she doesn’t get it she does this high pitched scream, dubbed the dinosaur scream by my hubby, until she gets it (thats her red headed temper plus daddy’s temper).  The face she gives you after she gets what she wants is just hilarious, its a little smirk that says “yeah, I get what i want” This year is bittersweet as well though because all of her firsts are also my last as a mother as she is our last baby.   So while it’s exciting to see her roll, smile, laugh, crawl etc its also a little sad because shes growing up and I want to keep her as my baby forever.

I can still remember the day she was born like it was yesterday.  At our 36 weeks appointment we had an ultrasound and she was measuring very big at 8 pounds.  My OB was concerned that she would get too big and wanted to induce me at 39 weeks and I wanted to avoid that with all of my might.  I knew ultrasounds could be off by as much as +/- 2 pounds and I had faith that my body would not make a baby I was incapable of birthing (my OB laughed at that of course but I was right!).  So she stripped my membranes at my 37 week appointment but that didn’t work.  I started taking evening primrose pills (advice from my doula) and I was having random contractions for a few days straight but nothing consistent.  I spent a lot of time bouncing on my yoga ball and even took Mikaela to the mall to walk around.  Then on New Years Ever 2016 I had been having contractions about once an hour and after my husband and I watched the ball drop we decided to try an old wives tale.  It worked for us and within a half hour my contractions started coming every 20 minutes or so.  I fell asleep about 1230 and at 330 I could no longer sleep through my contractions.  I got up and went to the bathroom and while I was in there my contractions became a lot more intense and a lot closer together.  I woke my husband up at 430 and told him I was in labor.  I was using an app to time my contractions and they were still 8-10 minutes apart.  I called the on call line for my OB and I was sure they were going to tell me to continue to labor at home but since this was my second child they told me to head in to the hospital and they notified my OB that we were on our way in.  At this point we tried to call my mom (my dad was coming to stay with my oldest and my mom was in the room with me) and she was not answering (I mean it was 430 am after NYE).  So I called my sister who was spending the night at my moms and woke her up.  It took me a few tries to communicate to my groggy sister that I needed her to get my mom up and someone to come over to our house because I needed to go to the hospital NOW.  While I continued to labor my husband was in the kitchen making himself coffee and breakfast (can you believe this?) and he asked me if I wanted anything (he knew I would need energy to deliver her) and I told him “no, if I eat anything I’m going to puke”.  This was a stark contrast from Mikaela’s labor where I was starving and the hospital would not let me eat.  Anyways, my mom gets to my house and we are finally ready to leave.  We get to the hospital a littler after 5 am and head up to labor and delivery.  of course they put us in triage first and by this time my contractions are about 5 minutes apart.  I did NOT want to lay in the bed,  I prefer the yoga ball, but they have to monitor you for a few minutes before they give you a room.  At this point my OB is not at the hospital yet and so the on call doctor strolls into the triage room (which was the size of a large closet).  He is an older man and he asks me “what brings you in tonight?” (-_-) I answered “Labor”.  Then then continues to ask me all of the SAME questions I just had went over with the nurse.  My mom and husband thought I was going to snap because I was so annoyed with him.  He apparently did not believe that I was in labor or that I was that far along into labor but when he checked my dilation he said “oh yeah, you’re at 7 cm”.  I immediately asked if I could get off of the bed and I walked myself into the labor and delivery room.  Apparently I was super sassy and told the nurse she had 1 shot to get the IV i my arm because my contractions were 1-2 minutes apart at this point.  My doula arrived shortly after this and I labored with the help of her, my mom and my husband who took turns massaging my back and putting a cool rag on my forehead because I was so hot.  My OB came in about 7 and checked me and I was at a 9.  She gave me the option to break my water (my water didnt break for either of my labors) which would speed things up a lot or wait a bit.  I elected to wait a bit and 15 minutes later I felt the need to push.  Adrian (our doula) went to get the doctor and I was still a 9.5 but I was pushing anyways because my body was telling me to.  My water broke on the first push and gushed everywhere.  I kept pushing for about 15-20 minutes and at 7:37 am my baby girl was born! They laid her on my chest and she just screamed her little head off (this should have been our first indicator of her personality haha).  She laid on my chest for a while and I just snuggled her and then she nursed for a good half hour!  I remember the nurse and my doula saying how Kaedence was so tiny and just normal sized and then they got her on the scale and she weighed 8 pounds 12 ounces! The day after this is a blur.  I wanted to get out of bed and walk around less than 2 hours after having her and the woman cleaning our room made a comment that I didn’t even act like I’d just had a baby hahaha.  I was so fortunate to have been able to have both of my girls 100% all natural without ant pain medication and its all thanks to the awesome support people I had with me both times!

So if yours still here after reading all of that here are some of my favorite photos of Kaedence from this year!

A big thank you to my friend Danielle from Danielle Fantis Photography for doing our fresh 48, baptism, and family photos this year!  We love you so much ❤

kaedence photographs by erin blog-295

collage 2.jpg

kaedence 1st birthday chalkboard


Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s